Thursday, September 25, 2008

fun and games


dear readers, young dave and i have invented a new game. its called 'bet you can't get me off the bed!' regular readers will recall a variant of this played by myself and young rokit, called 'bet you can't get me on the floor'. the aim of 'bet you can't get me off the bed' is for me to show young dave who is in charge. he will sit grinning in my bed in a rather over-confident way that gives me no option but to take measures to wipe the smile off his face. my bed, as my readers will know, has a rather fine grey blanket on it. dave makes a point of sitting smack in the middle of the blanket, which is his downfall. i take hold of a corner of it and slowly but surely pull the blanket, and with it young dave, off the bed and onto the floor. any puppy with half a grain of sense would admit defeat at this point. but young dave likes a challenge and sits grinning on the blanket on the floor. i then have to pull the blanket out from under him. it did not dawn on me until i saw the photograph taken by herself that dave rather likes this bit. he stands on the blanket while i drag him all the way to the other end of the living-room. then we have a tug-of-war with the blanket. all very good for the teeth.

in an effort to accommodate young dave's desire to sleep in my bed alongside me, herself had a bright idea. she has recently tidied my boy's room, a job which requires mental preparation for many weeks beforehand. part of the thinning out process liberated an old futon which had been gathering dust in a corner. this has now been turned into a large and rather glorious dog-bed. the theory was that there would be room for myself and dave side by side. however, due to living alongside an artistic boy for so long i have caught some of his beefburger tendencies. i do not like change. so i am making a point of sleeping in my old bed. young dave insists on climbing in on top of me. after playing 'bet you can't get me off the bed' i have to lie on the blanket to make a point to young dave. he of course lies on top of me. so there are 3 dog-beds, one of which is large and wonderful, all empty, and two lurchers crowded onto an old and increasingly tattered blanket.

this morning herself took matters in hand and propped both the other dog-beds up against the wall. it will be interesting to see if young dave is able to sit on a vertical bed...

7 comments:

Catofstripes said...

Those dogs are enjoying themselves. It's great they get on so well.

Patience-please said...

Joker looks so happy! Must be delightful to see them get on so well.

Anonymous said...

They sound like they're having a good time with each other. I would imagine watching them is entertaining as well.

How's the kidney op going? Still on for Oct. 15?

Anonymous said...

Wow is the puppy getting big! They both look like they are having so much fun. I would love to sit on the floor and play with them.

Thank you for your comments, means a lot. We are still trying to get things right. It is frustrating, but I know we will get there.

XXXXXX

flutter said...

this makes me so incredibly happy. Hello friend, I've missed you!

crazymumma said...

Oh I can just see them shaking their heads back and forth and the sound of their play growls, followed by a wild leap and something getting knocked off a table.

Woman in a Window said...

HA! The image of the old, sad grey blanket and two dogs stacked atop is hilarious, especially set against the backdrop of two empty beds! More patience than I, I daresay.