Friday, October 10, 2008

swimming in treacle


we thought we were on the home straight as far as the operation was concerned, but true to form, life has thrown us a googly. himself started coughing last weekend and by monday morning was in a bad way. herself said he should stay off school. himself was worried that his colleagues would run into problems with their equipment if he wasn't there to sort them out. herself said he would have to worry about a different sort of equipment if he didn't behave. her maamship suggested that herself hide all his pants (for my american and canadian readers, this is pants in the british sense - ie underwear). fortunately, himself stayed at home.

the cough got worse. in the middle of wednesday night herself e-mailed the transplant coordinator to see if himself should have antibiotics. the transplant coordinator is a most impressive individual who gets things done. even the doctors do what she says. first thing on thursday she was on the phone. himself had to go into the hospital for a chest x-ray. luckily my boy was at school as this is the sort of thing that freaks him out.

after a fair bit of waiting around a picture of himself's lungs was taken and the peeps went in to see the consultant. the good news was that the lungs were clear. nothing was lurking down there. the bad news was that unless the cough gets better the transplant will have to be postponed. it will be too risky to do if himself is ill, as the anti-rejection drugs will remove any immune system that he has left.

so we are waiting and hoping that things will look up.

10 comments:

flutter said...

I hope so, too

DJ Kirkby said...

Ok I am new to all this...what kind of transplant? I mean which organ? xo

crazymumma said...

Of all the lousy luck. may you all be well soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. You all have been in my thoughts as the 15th approaches.

It stinks that this cough came up now. Good news about the lungs being clear.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cough goes away and all goes as planned.

Sending hugs and healing thoughts.

XXXXXXX

Unknown said...

I know it will not help with infection, but to soothe coughing (and sore throats) there is nothing better than melting small pieces of chocolate in your mouth. Advice given by a nurse - and it works - for humans. Of course, to be kept well away from Dave + Joker.

Catofstripes said...

I hardly dare ask, but I'm still hoping for the best. Good luck everyone.

Anonymous said...

Hope himself is better soon. And don't forget to take care of your self as well:)

Woman in a Window said...

and more of my best.
are you sick of me yet?
erin

Lynanne said...

Hoping for a speedy recovery for himself! I hear lots of puppy cuddles are the best medicine.

Aliki2006 said...

I hope he's on the mend very very soon...